This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.
Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
What is Nuclear Medicine?
Share |

Follow the link below to view an illustrated introduction to Nuclear Medicine.

Nuclear Medicine covers the whole spectrum of medical diagnostic and investigational use of "unsealed" radionuclides, plus their therapeutic applications and the Society is committed to its safe practice and high quality throughout the United Kingdom.

Nuclear Medicine is older than CT, MRI and ultrasound.  It was first used in patients over 60 years ago.

Nuclear Medicine Imaging 

 A Gamma Camera    A PET CT Scanner


Unlike most other methods of imaging the body, nuclear medicine describes organ function as well as structure.  This often makes earlier diagnosis possible.


Nuclear Medicine Therapies 


Radiopharmaceuticals can be used to treat certain diseases. In Europe the main therapies are:

  • Thyroid cancer and Hyperthyroidism
  • Lymphoma
  • Cancer bone pain
  • Joint pain and arthritis

The number of nuclear medicine therapies being developed and approved is increasing.

 What is Nuclear medicine poster

A technetium bone scan showing tumours


© 2013 BNMS unless otherwise stated.
The BNMS is a registered as a company in England and Wales with number 08082786.  The BNMS is a charity governed by the rules of the Charity Commission for England and Wales - Registered Number 1150234.  Registered Office: The Royal College of Physicians, 11 St. Andrew's Place, Regent's Park, London NW1 4LE.
The British Nuclear Medicine Society is not able to give specific clinical advice to members of the public. If you are concerned about your scan or therapy please seek the opinion of a nuclear medicine clinician where you were seen or the clinician who referred you to the department or your GP.
Enquiries related to issues such as internships and work experience opportunities, should be directed to the relevant professional body e.g., for radiologists, this will be the Royal College of Radiologists.